Saturday, April 21, 2012

Teaching an old dog new tricks

I was wearing miniskirts and hippie beads when I took my first oil painting class one night a week at Trade School in Springfield, Massachusetts.  Since then, oils had been my favorite medium--until last summer.


However, last spring I took two weekend workshops in acrylics with artist, lecturer, and teacher Jan Blencowe of Clinton, Connecticut.  Acrylics became a whole new medium for me, although I'd been skeptical about whether it would be one I'd enjoy.  As I began experimenting with them, I was pleased with their similarity to oils.  For the most part, they mix the same way oils do, but dry much faster.  Not only that, but the process of painting is faster, and the cleanup is as well.   

I had not used acrylics for plein air painting until last summer when I made up my mind to give them a real trial.  On my painting trip to Monhegan Island, Maine in August, I left my oils home and took only acrylics.  The weather was good to me; the rain, mist, and fog were balanced by sunshine, warm days, and blue skies.  That's how I discovered that it's easier to paint on the "soft" days than on those when I painted in full sun.    I didn't have to keep misting my palette;  Mother Nature took care of that.  When the weather got too wet to continue painting outdoors, I'd just flip my old collapsible metal wet paint carrier upside down for the walk home.  This kept the canvas from being rained on and prevented the painting from being washed away. 


"Rainy Sunrise," 12 x 16" original acrylic on Irish linen, copyright Joan Cole
That technique didn't work quite as well the morning I painted "Rainy Sunrise,"  which was recently accepted into the 111th annual juried exhibition of the New Haven Paint and Clay Club.  After I had trekked back to the cottage from my perch overlooking the cliffs of Whitehead and turned the carrier right side up, I couldn't believe my eyes!  Mother Nature had played a trick on me on the walk home:  apparently my canvas had become so wet by the time I finally stopped painting in the heavy mist that the accumulated moisture had slid in rivulets down the canvas.  Not only that!  The underbrush I had hiked through had added some brushwork of its own.  I had to laugh.  Murphy's Law once again!  


Despite these surprises, I was able to rescue "Rainy Sunrise" from disaster by reworking some of the places that had been scratched and blurred.  It is what it is:   my creation enhanced by the elements on a magical Monhegan morning!  Another of God's many blessings.

If you'd like to see this masterpiece that Mother Nature and I created, please stop by Maple and Main Gallery at 1 Maple Street in Chester, CT 06412.  I  was so pleased at last night's opening of the new spring show when several visitors commented favorably on this particular painting.  

If you missed the opening, come join in the May Daze revels in Chester on Friday, May 4th from 5 to 8.   If you do, please say "Hello" to me, enjoy a glass of wine, hors d'oeuvres, good company, and over 200 other pieces of original art.   If you miss the May Daze extravaganza, the exhibition will run until June 10th.

No comments: