Saturday, May 5, 2012

"Spring Morning" is SOLD!

I am so delighted that a friend who had seen my recent blog post about "Spring Morning" loved it so much that she decided to purchase it.


"Spring Morning," 12 x 9" original acrylic on linen, copyright Joan Cole, 2012
This is what Helen wrote me on Facebook:  "Pratt's Cove is one of my favorite places. I used to walk down to there. It is beautiful at every season, especially when the flowers bloom there. Another yellow flower blooms there in the fall. In the winter the ice freezes in layers and the ice crackles down thru the cove out to the river...awesome sound. There is a special kind of light there all the time. I just love that place. How genius of you to paint it..the painting is BEAUTIFUL. Do you ever sell prints? I probably could not afford the original."

As an artist, I know that the sale of a painting is about much more than just money.  When I am drawn to a scene so beautiful in the world around me that I HAVE TO paint it, I struggle to capture its beauty for others to see.  What a joy it is for me when another person  is truly touched by seeing that beauty in my painting.  The ultimate gratification for me is when a person is so moved that they just MUST HAVE the painting.


Yes, "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder."  But what is so beautiful about the sight on a rainy spring morning of wild yellow irises in a  tidal bog?  It was a day very similar to today.  I was walking in the rain on the railroad tracks in Deep River to satisfy my friend Pamela, who wanted me to see the swaths of lemon-colored irises. 


I can picture that scene in my mind's eye right now.  When the Essex Steam Train whistled at the crossing on River Street, we hopped off  the tracks to let the engine, parlor cars and caboose rumble on by.   We felt like kids again.   I can hear the rain on the windows right now, reminding me of that day.


As for Helen's question about whether I sell prints.  I don't because I believe in collecting original art.  Yes, originals are more expensive than copies, because they are one of a kind.  I keep my prices reasonable,  AND I've been known to work with buyers to enable them to purchase my art over time.  Why should a piece be hanging in a gallery or stacked in my studio?  I want my work enjoyed.  That's the real pleasure for me. 


I'm not the first artist to take time payments.   Years ago, when Leif Nilsson was a young artist, Roge and I offered to buy three of his paintings--because we couldn't pick just one!--on time.  He was thrilled because he'd just bought a truck but was on his way to Italy to paint.  He said our payments would cover his truck payments while he was away.  While he was away, we enjoyed the paintings every day in our home.  And Leif didn't have to worry about missing his payments.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you are wondering why this post is following one about the death of my sister Phyllis, it's because I just discovered that I had never posted it.  I hope you will forgive the incongruity of my posting this one belatedly.

No comments: