Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jan Blencowe's Tonalist Workshop Was Eye-opening and Muscle-building!

Today's class at Maple & Main Gallery of Fine Art in Chester was very productive.  I have added several layers of pigment to yesterday's acrylic painting.  It is still not finished, but I thought you'd like to see my progress.
Unfinished acrylic painting #1 by Joan Cole

While I was letting layers of paint dry, I began a second painting.  I don't have the original underpainting to show you, but this is as far as I was able to take it today.

Unfinished acrylic painting #2 by Joan Cole

I will be continuing to work on both of these paintings, but not tonight.  I will keep you posted.  So stay tuned.

I did say that Jan's class was eye-opening.  I had no idea of the intense physicality involved in Jan's style of brushwork.   Much scrubbing in and scumbling over layer upon layer of paint is required, sometimes before the layers are completely dry! 

However, since it's Oscar night tonight, it's time for me to tune in to catch some of the preliminary red carpet interviews.  Have a great evening, everyone!



No comments: