Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hooray! My painting "Clearing" sold before our opening on Friday, June 10!

 "Clearing" is a 12" x 16" acrylic on linen, copyright by Joan Cole
You can see "Clearing"  at Maple and Main Gallery of Fine Art at 1 Maple Street in Chester, Connecticut, at the opening from 5 to 8 PM this Friday.  It sold before the show was even hung because I had used it on my postcard invitation to our summer show.  One of my long-time collectors from Atlanta called to purchase the painting before anyone else could.


Needless to say, it's a good thing I was wearing a tank top, or I'd have popped my buttons!   I am thrilled that "Clearing" will be going to a welcoming home.  And I'm very proud that it is the first sale of the new show.


You may remember my posting of Saturday, February 26, 2011, titled:  Jan Blencowe's Tonalist Class Today Was GREAT!


This is what "Clearing" looked like then. 

It was Jan who introduced me to acrylics and the Tonalist movementHer reading from Emerson's essay, "Nature,"  followed by her sharing of painting after painting by Tonalist masters, set to Claude DeBussy's "Reverie,"  was an eye-opening experience:  the beauty of those landscapes was overwhelming.  Simplified shapes in nature, emphasis on value and atmosphere, softened edges, an appeal to the spirit and emotions of the viewer--these are the characteristics that became evident in the work of the Tonalists. There was--and still is--so much for me to learn, not only about making optimal use of acrylics but also about distilling a landscape--or, in this case, a seascape--to its essence.  Thank you, Jan, once again for being such a knowledgeable and generous teacher. 

There are four other acrylics of mine in this show, so you still have a chance to become one of my collectors.  I look forward to seeing you Friday night if you live--or are vacationing--in the area. 

No comments: