Friday, June 10, 2011

Today's the Day! Maple & Main's Summer Show Opening is from 5-8 PM!

"Summer Memory," 14" x 18" acrylic, $600, copyright Joan Cole

Another of my newest paintings making its debut tonight is "Summer Memory."  If you live in the area or are vacationing nearby, I hope you'll make a trip to Chester to take in the beauty of over 200 new paintings and sculptures by more than 30 Connecticut artists.  The party starts at 5, but the show will be up until September, so if you already have another engagement tonight, I encourage you to put the Gallery on your list of "Must-Do's" this summer.


I began this painting in one of the workshops I took with Jan Blencowe at Maple & Main Gallery in late winter.  I worked on it off and on all spring.  This is how it looked when I first wrote about it in my post of  Sunday, February 27, 2011:  Jan Blencowe's Tonalist Workshop Was Eye-opening and Muscle-building!

"[A Vague] Summer Memory"or Unfinished acrylic painting #2 by Joan Cole

I also took "Summer Memory" to one of the artist critiques offered by the Gallery on the third Monday of each month and received much good advice.  I invite you to join us at the next artist critique on Monday, June 20, from 6-8 at the Gallery.  Jan Blencowe will be doing the critiquing that evening.  There's so much to learn by listening to comments on each piece.  Bring one or two of your paintings and the $5 fee.  I'd love to meet you there.

I am thoroughly enjoying attempting to elicit an emotional response from the viewer in the manner for which the Tonalists were known. Simplified shapes in nature, emphasis on value and atmosphere, softened edges, an appeal to the spirit and emotions of the viewer--these qualities fit right in with a goal I've had for years now:  "No Noodling!"  These  two words of wisdom were shared with me long ago by Pamela Simpson Lussier, a very fine artist and teacher.    I even have a post-it note in my studio to remind me.  Thank you, Pamela and Jan!

Speaking of Pamela Simpson Lussier, I extend an invitation to all of you to attend the upcoming fundraiser on Pam's behalf on Saturday, June 18, at the Scotland Fire Department.  



No comments: